Froome had already spoken publicly about being granted TUEs twice, in 2013 and 2014. He said: “I’ve openly discussed my TUEs with the media and have no issues with the leak, which confirms my statements. In nine years as a professional, I’ve twice required a TUE for exacerbated asthma. The last time was in 2014.”
Similar sentiments were expressed by, or on behalf of, the three other British victims: golfer Charley Hull, rower Sam Townsend and rugby player Heather Fisher. They were among 25 athletes from eight countries whose TUE records were published overnight on Wednesday, including those of two-time Wimbledon champion Petra Kvitova.
That was almost 48 hours after Fancy Bears released confidential data on the Williams sisters, gymnast Simone Biles and one more competitor from this summer’s Olympics.
Wada director general Olivier Niggli said: “Wada is very mindful that this criminal attack, which to date has recklessly exposed personal data of 29 athletes, will be very distressing for the athletes that have been targeted and cause apprehension for all athletes that were involved in the Rio 2016 Olympic Games.
“To those athletes that have been impacted, we regret that criminals have attempted to smear your reputations in this way and assure you that we are receiving intelligence and advice from the highest level law enforcement and IT security agencies that we are putting into action.